Monday, January 25, 2010

I Have Been Thinking...






    I have been thinking about the Haiti earthquake everyday since it happened. My heart has been especially touched by the images of the orphan children who have been so innocently affected by this terrible and unimaginable act of nature. There was already 300,000 orphans in Haiti before the earthquake and now there is no way to know how many more innocent little children have been put into a position of not having any family to live with because they are gone. They need our prayers and monetary assistance. They need the people around the world to focus on them and daily keep them in their hearts, mind and prayers.
    I read where the UN wanted to make sure that adoption of these orphans was a "last resort". UNICEF, which is the children's arm of the UN has come out for this idea. It seems to me that if there was already 300,000 orphans and who knows how many more that a supposedly child oriented organization would want to fine safe and  happy homes for these children no matter where it was. I believe that this is an achievable cause, and that there are plenty of loving families that want to give good homes to these children who in the best of times had a second rate existence. The concern for the life and soul of the children should come first. Not global politics or political correctness. I pray for the children and the good families that are willing to adopt them. If I had a chance, I would be glad myself to give a home to anyone of them.
    On another related note, as I have been tempted to complain about the little inconveniences in life these last few weeks, my mind has quickly recalled the images of the poor people of Haiti, especially the women and children. It reminds me that I have nothing at all to complain about. I quickly feel ashamed and say a little prayer for them.

No comments: