Sunday, January 24, 2010

Internet Troubles-Again!

   What a time I had this last week trying to get our internet to work. I know some of our family and friends thought we fell off the face of the earth, but for some reason it stopped working one morning. After checking everything out and trying to fix it myself, I called Verizon. I went the rounds with the tech man and he finally said he would send me another modem. We waited for about 3 days for that to come and then hooked it up. No internet! Again I called Verizon and went the rounds again and the tech man said that the new modem must be bad so I will send you another. We waited again. When it came, I hooked it all up and to no avail. So, on the phone with another tech man again.  After he ran through everything with me again, he decided that my ethernet cable might be bad. So off to Radio Shack the next morning. They wanted 38.00 for a new cable so I ran over to Walmart and got one for 30.00. Quite a lot of money for a cable, but we did need a 50 foot cable.

     When I came home I decided to have a prayer before I hooked it up. I cautiously proceeded to hook it up and when I tested it it did work. So, it was the cable which we only had for 5 months. With a little more tweaking with the router, I was able to get things into full swing again. Everyone is happy now. One week without internet is hard these days, although I think we all got along pretty well.  Now we can keep up with family and friends on a daily basis again and Briggs can do his genealogy. I can pay the bills and look up "important" things. It is interesting how we have become dependent upon the modern technical things we have these days. But if it all went away, we would still be ok. I canceled our cell phone a year or so ago and we have gotten along just fine. In the meantime, it is nice to have the internet back again!

1 comment:

Anita said...

I agree Carol, we certainly miss our internet when it goes off. Luckily Jim gets on the phone with Charter, and he has an extra modem and cable just in case. When we lived out in the country, we had satelite internet with the dish on top of the house. When it snowed or we had sleet, I'd hold the ladder while Jim climbed up with a pot of hot water to melt the ice or snow off the satelite. So glad we don't have to do that anymore. haha