Thursday, February 26, 2009

We Love Chocolate and Malt



Our family, at least the girls, love chocolate malt. I learned to love malts when I was a young girl in Michigan in the 1950's. Of course, back then malts were still very popular at the soda fountain. My love of malt balls is the result of the fact that my mommy would buy them as a treat from time to time when we went out to town, either St. Joseph or Benton Harbor, Michigan. Many years later, in the 70's, I would take all my little kiddies to the Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach, Florida. Sears and Roebuck had a candy counter and I would buy ask for "a $'s worth of malt balls, please." Then as I strolled my several babies and a few more tag -alongs around the store, we would eat our malt balls.
Through the years the girls and I have made it a habit to buy them for treats when we would be near a candy store or bring a bag home to someone as a treat. Malted milks are very good too, and our family has them sometimes for Family Home Evening. Hardees has a malted milk that rivals the ones from the old soda fountains of the past. As a matter of fact, I think I put on a few pounds a couple of years ago eating them. It is so easy to slide right into the drive-through and order one up. They even put a dollop of real whipped cream on the top along with a bright red cherry. Oh boy, what a treat! Try it someday. I was in the tire store today, having my wheels aligned and had time to kill in the waiting area. I am sooo ashamed to say, I tore out a few delicious recipes from back issues of magazines they had there. This recipe looked really good to me and I want to try it soon. As soon as I get off my low carb diet. Thanks, Martha Stewart!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Yummy! Thanks for posting this fantastic recipe. Can't wait to try it.
Anita Wages